New potatoes, boiled or steamed and tossed in butter are delicious, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do anything else with them.
Here are a few ideas:
• Melt a thick slice of butter in a casserole. Add small whole potatoes, whole cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of thyme. Put the lid on tightly and cook on on the hob on a medium, then a low heat for about 30 minutes. Toss occasionally, holding the lid down tightly. Season.
• Toss lukewarm boiled potatoes in sour cream, lots of fresh dill or mint, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Add stoned green olives if you like.
• Roast whole small potatoes with melted butter, honey and balsamic vinegar or lemon juice.
• Dress freshly boiled potatoes with olive oil, sherry vinegar and roast ground cumin seeds.
• Bake with shallots, butter, balsamic vinegar and rosemary, covered with foil.
Original photograph by Lisa Linder